Hey, I'm Ryan
Designer, problem solver, and makes really good french toast 🍞
I'm a digital product designer interested in building experiences that are logical, thoughtful, and accessible.
I currently reside in Tampa,FL, where I help simplify the home remodeling experience and help build connected, IoT experiences for homeowners at Masonite - a global manufacturer of doors.
Previously, I helped build a problem-solving platform for payments as the first product designer at Chargebacks911.
I’m driven to learn why people do what they do so I can create experiences that are intuitive and successful. I’ve helped rethink, prototype and design solutions to help bring empathy and simplicity into complex problems - which is a fancier way of saying I help things make sense.
If you'd like to see more of what I've been working on, take a look at my CodePen, Dribbble, and Github. For a more in-depth look at my design process or if you have a project in mind, let's chat - I'm available.
What am I reading?
Just a few pieces of writing about design (and some tertiary stuff) that I enjoy, that I hope you might enjoy as well.
- This Is Not a T-Shirt: A Brand, a Culture, a Community--a Life in StreetwearBobby Hundreds
- A Pattern Language: Towns, Buildings, Construction (Center for Environmental Structure Series)Christopher Alexander, Sara Ishikawa, Murray Silverstein, Max Jacobson, Ingrid Fiksdahl-King, Shlomo Angel
- Complexity: The Emerging Science at the Edge of Order and ChaosM. Mitchell Waldrop
- Dataclysm: Love, Sex, Race, and Identity--What Our Online Lives Tell Us about Our Offline SelvesChristian Rudder
- The Social Animal: The Hidden Sources of Love, Character, and AchievementDavid Brooks
- The Innovator's Dilemma: When New Technologies Cause Great Firms to FailClayton Christensen
I'm a morning person and I like to start most mornings catching up with a podcast - here are a few I've been digging:
- Bloomberg PrognosisPrognosis explores the leading edge of medical advances, and asks who gets—or should get—access to them.
- Design DetailsA weekly conversation about design process and culture.
- TradeoffsLong-time health care reporter Dan Gorenstein hosts an examination of health care, policy, and people.
- MarketplaceThrough stories, conversations and newsworthy numbers, we help listeners understand the economic world around them.
- Google Method PodcastA podcast exploring the design stories behind Google products and the people who make them.
- The Bob Lefsetz PodcastListen to Bob Lefsetz's new podcast where he'll address the issues at the core of the music business, internet, and the world at large.
- The Indie Hackers PodcastRaw conversations with the founders behind profitable online businesses.
What am I listening to?
Here are a few things I've been listening to while I'm doing focused work, driving, walking around, or whatever really...
How can I help?
If you have a dope side project idea or want to trade project/portfolio feedback, I'd love to help out. If you want to chat about design, movies, or anything else, that’s fine too!
If you're in the Tampa Bay area (and even if you're not), I'd love to chat over coffee, tea, seltzer water, coke zero, whatever really ☕️ — let's chat!
I'll do my best to reply quickly 👍.
- How to better utilize data and Computational Design Methods
- Design system architecture with React, Figma, styled components, and content principles
- How to drive faster than my homies on the go-kart track
- How to manage a ton of tabs in my browser, but am ironically an inbox zero person 🤷
Like any designer, my portfolio is really never finished and is in a constant state of having the code reworked. This is the 4th iteration of my portfolio and I put this version together with help from the following resources:
Read the post I wrote to find more about the design changes I made in this version of my portfolio!